Sunday, November 14, 2010

Shortbread Sunday

Found this shortbread recipe after looking at several (with brown sugar, heart shape, etc.):

Ingredients
  • 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter

Directions

1. In a medium bowl combine flour (unbleached) and sugar (white). Using a pastry blender, cut in butter (salted) until mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling. Form the mixture into a ball and knead until smooth.

2. Here, I stopped following the directions. Well, actually before "form the mixture into a ball . . . " I stopped the directions. Instead forming a ball and rolling it, I put the crumbs into a small glass dish and patted to satisfaction. I did not cherish touching the dough with my hands and potentially getting dough all over. I thought, "What would Martha Washington (or insert other woman of history) do?" and decided on a plastic salad tossing spoon with just-right flatness and curved-ness for best patting.

It turned out a little crispy, but tasty. Next time, less "brown" color required.

No comments: